In Literacy, we have been writing our own fantasy stories to include a dragon.
First we planned our stories using story maps or story planners to make sure that we had a clear beginning, middle and ending to our stories.
Then we started to write our dragon stories. We made sure that we included expanded noun phrases and similes in our stories to add detail for the reader. we have really enjoyed writing the stories and we hope that you enjoy reading them too.
Once we had finished, we had a go at self and peer assessing our stories with our friends to make sure that we had included everything on the checklist. We know that sometimes we have things that we need to work towards and we can make sure we try to do these things next time.
What could do at home to support your child:
- Read fantasy stories that include dragons to help build up your child’s imagination.
- Plan a simple fantasy story with a beginning, middle and an ending.
- Talk through the plan with your child so they have a clear understanding of how the story flows.
- Let your child write their story. Remind your child to use their phonics when they are sounding out and spelling words.
- Then go through the story with your child, finding two things about their story that you like and then suggest one way in which they could improve it.