We are so excited to be learning about Florence Nightingale that Miss Varley has created Scutari hospital for us to recreate what it must have been like during the Crimean War.
We have learnt that Scutari is in a place called Turkey so we have the Turkish flag up.
We have learnt that Florence was having to look after soldiers in disgusting conditions.
- Soldiers were having to sleep on the floor.
- There was no clean water to drink or bathe in.
- Food was often mouldy or stale.
- There were lots of rats and they were covered in disease and ran around the hospital, passing their bacteria and disease around.
- Many soldiers died from infection rather than their actual wounds.
We have also looked at a timeline of Florence Nightingale’s life to learn facts like when she was born, how old she was when she died.
We love dressing up and using our imagination to try and imagine what it must of been like for Florence, her nurses and the soldiers.
What you could do at home:
- Find out who Florence Nightingale is.
- Find out why is she important to nursing.
- Visit the library to find books about Florence.
- Use the internet to research more about the life of Florence Nightingale.