This week, our whole school have been looking at how we treat the environment and how we could look after the environment better.
In KS1, we have been concentrating on recycling.
We have read lots of stories about recycling. Our favourites are Michael Recycle, George Saves the World by Lunchtime and Dinosaurs and all that Rubbish.
Together, we decided that we were going to become Environmental Superheroes and wrote an oath to help look after the environment. Here are some of our suggestions:
- I promise to turn off lights when I leave a room.
- I promise to turn off the tap to save water when I am brushing my teeth.
- I promise to make sure that all litter goes in a bin and not on the floor.
- I promise to reuse plastic bottles as drink bottles for school.
- I promise not to use down trees or pick flowers from the garden.
We learnt about the 3 R’s in Recycling.
By reusing materials such as plastic bottles and plastic carrier bags, we are reduce the amount of landfill that humans create every year.
We can recycle a huge amount of materials such as paper, cardboard, plastic, fabric, metal, glass and many many more. Have a look around your house. Is there anything that you could recycle instead of just throwing it away.
We swapped around the different classrooms to learn more about recycling. Take a look at the photographs below to see what we got up to.
We have enjoyed learning all about recycling and we are going to make a bigger effort to do more of it at home and at school.
Click here to play a recycling game called Recycle!
Click here to play a recycling game called Sort and Recycle.
Click here to help Barnaby Bear to recycle some materials.
What you could do to help your child’s learning at home:
- Look what materials objects are made from and decide if they can be recycled.
- Use some of the links above to play the recycling games.
- Sort materials into recyclable and non-recyclable at home.
- Use recyclable materials for design and making. E.g. jewellery or art.
- Reusing plastic bottles or carrier bags.